A peep into the exhibition which opened on April 3, 2015. The theme will be the same until May 30 but now and then I will hang new prints. I’d love to welcome you in my studio – and have your comments to what you see here if you cannot visit.
Lund, Sweden – April 11, 2015
I shoot out a single photo to you as a digital gift – a moment of meditation – and wish you a good weekend and weekbegin…
Thanks to everyone for responding to earlier shoots, often with very kind words. And for sharing them to yet wider circles.
• ObergPhotoGraphics’ new exhibition “People of Islam – Images from Iraq, Iran, Morocco and Somaliland” is open any time for you, but only by appointment on mail or phone (see below).
• The PhotoArtually Newsletter is coming soon. I’m working with a brand new magazine-like presentation of the section World Highlights – beautiful, comprehensive and “flippingly” interactive both on your screen and your phone!
And soon another shoot or two.
My best & enjoy your weekend!
I opened this exhibition with the subtitle – Photos From Iran, Iraq, Somaliland and Marrakech – on April 3, 2015.
It has come about in a quite natural way. I have worked in some countries where Islam is of fundamental importance and so been exposed to the people living there as well as their problems – problems related to conflicts and war.
I did fact-finding in Iraq in 2002 and 2003, I do peace work and photography every year in Iran since 2012; I worked in Somalia between 1977 and 1981 and visited the self-proclaimed independent Somaliland in the Northern part in 2014 and I spent a week in Marrakech, Morocco, in February 2015.
But it wasn’t a planned project. I don’t do projects in the sense of saying to myself that, in the next few years, I shall concentrate on a certain theme, produce a number of works and then exhibit them. That is not part of my concept. My work and general curiousity takes me to places and, while there and in between having meetings or giving lecturing, I shoot pictures.
This is perhaps not the way a professional would do it but Continue reading
Welcome to my new exhibition
“People Of Islam”
Selected images from Iran, Iraq, Marrakech and Somaliland
April 3-6, 2015 – Easter – Every day 10-18 – after that by appointment only.
About the exhibition
People and milieus from Islam which the Western world is in constant conflict with.
I did fact-finding in Iraq 2002 and 2003 and already before the war, the Iraqis were hard hit by the inhuman sanctions.
Since 2012 I work every year in Iran with peace and photography. Somaliland I visited in 2014 (and 1977-81) – and the images from Marrakech, Morocco, are just two months old. The man above is Barber Lahcen in Marrakech and here are some thoughts on taking photos in that amazing city – with pictures.
It’s pictures of suffering but also of beauty and diversity. I want to show – and am happy to also talk about – the fact that there are many other images of this culture than the one you get in the mainstream Western media.
It’s my little contribution, as peace researcher and photographer – to building bridges. Because we simply must!
1. Takes place parallel to “Konstrundan” but I am not a member of it. Open April 3-6 all days 10-18.
2. If you have not visited me before: The exhibition is in my studio, a modest space, and there will be about 40 images in formats from A3+ to A1.
3. If you can’t make it April 3-6 you can set up an appointment any time on:
firstname.lastname@example.org or +46 738 525200.
4. And if you are far from Sweden: most of the images will soon be on my photo homepage (see below).
Hope very much to welcome you soon !